07 Nov Celebrity Wines
This week’s People has a listing of celebs who are branding wine under their name. People asked Gary Vaynerchuk of Wine Library TV to judge each wine and the following came out in the “above average” category.
Lil Jon– Three varieties from Little John Winery in California. Tasted was a 2006 Chardonnay at $15.99 a bottle. Gary says, “Great fruit-pineapple, lemon, mango, guava and a little creaminess on the finish. Very solid.” Out of a scale of 100, Gary gave this wine an 89.
Lorraine Bracco– Has nine varieties imported from Italy. Tasted was 2006 Pinot Grigio at $11.99 a bottle. Gary comments, “Nice acidity, a little cantaloupe on the mid-palate, great grapefruit on the finish. Bright, easy wine.” This wine received 86+ points on Gary’s scale.
Vince Neil– Currently producing one California variety and can be purchased at eosvintage. Tasted was 2006 Petite Sirah at $9.00 a bottle. Gary says, “Very crowd-pleasing. A sourdough component and a little raspberry-cherry jam. A good buy-I highly recommend it.” The 2006 Petite Sirah received 88 points.
Peggy Fleming– Fleming-Jenkins produces five wines in California and the one tasted, 2007 Victories Rose’ is named in celebration of Fleming’s victory over cancer. A bottle is $20.00 and $2.00 from each bottle sold goes toward breast cancer research. Gary says, “A little rose petal on the nose, maybe for Peggy’s Olympic roses? I’m impressed by the balance.” Gary gave this wine 87 points.
Wine Searcher lists some other celebrity wines:
- The Australian golfer, Greg Norman , has wineries in the Limestone Coast of Australia.
- The golfer, Ernie Els , produces wines at Stellenbosch.
- Olivia Newton John , actress and singer, with her Koala Blue collection.
- Sir Cliff Richard has wineries in the Algarve which produce the Vida Nova brand sold in many UK supermarkets.
- Sam Neill , the film actor, produces Pinot wines under the Two Paddocks label in the Central Otago region of his native New Zealand.
- An Italian Bob Dylan wine, a blend of Montepulciano and Merlot from Le Terrazze in a bottle signed by the singer/songwriter, bears the name of Dylan’s 1974 album ” Planet Waves“.
- Perhaps the most well known in wine circles are the wines of the film director, Francis Ford Coppola (at the Niebaum-Coppola Winery) in California’s Napa Valley. Many of these wines are frequently highly rated by wine writers.